SWITCH UP, COVER-UP, AND GIVEAWAY
I decided to switch up the order of the design challenge this month. In past challenges, we started with an inspirational item and then illustrated two possible designs so you, the blog reader, could vote for your favourite. This month the initial inspiration is the sketch above.
For the first week of the challenge, I will illustrate two different variations of the original design. These sketches will have different fabrics and/or embellishments. One design might be quilted, have leather trim or embroidery. I have a few ideas in mind but won’t decide until I am finished sketching. I will then post the designs on the blog for you to vote on.
WHY ARE THINGS BEING CHANGED AROUND THIS MONTH?
I wanted to start working on the patternmaking right away for this challenge. Normally I complete the patternmaking and sewing the last two weeks of the month. I cannot start working on the patternmaking earlier, as I do not know which design the blog readers will vote for as the winner. By changing the order, I can start the patternmaking right away, so I will have more time to sew the design. I want this extra time as I am planning to sew two final garments this month. One of these will be for me. It just started to get cooler outside, so lately I am loving anything warm, and comfortable. The second design will be given away to one lucky subscriber!
YIPPPEEE, OUR FIRST GIVEAWAY!
Anyone who is subscribed to the Duelling Designs newsletter before 7 pm (EST) on October 26th will be automatically entered into the draw.
Why should you subscribe to our newsletter if you have not already? Subscribers receive two e-mails a month. One to remind you when it is time to vote for your favourite design and the other is a recap of that month’s design challenge. You will not be inundated with emails, and you may unsubscribe at any time.
I will draw the winner live on Periscope on October 26th. I won’t be able to hold a giveaway every month as different designs need different amounts of time to construct. But I am hoping to do a giveaway whenever possible.
- Create two or more designs that use the same pattern.
- Sew two garments; one for the challenge and one to be given away to a subscriber of the Duelling Designs newsletter. These might be made of different fabrics and may be an alternate size.
- The garment for the blog must be a size 12.
- The garment for the giveaway will be a size that the winner requests.
- The fabrics either need to be knit or wovens with stretch.
- The garment is designed to be a casual mid-weight cover-up.
- Initial Sketches Due: October 5th REVISED to OCTOBER 6th
- Voting Period: October 6th to 12th Voting will close October 12th at 7 pm EST.
- Construction Period: October 13th to 29th
- Entries for Giveaway Close: October 19th at 7 pm EST.
- Final Presentation Blog: October 30th
I was speechless for a moment in this broadcast. Awkward. That’s what happens when an introvert tries to tap into her long dormant, and very limited, extrovert tendencies. Thanks again to everyone who watches my scopes. Your comments and hearts give me the confidence to continue to improve.